Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

5600w Electric Scooter Controller and Motor failed, Troubleshooting, Solution

Several months ago my 5600w electric scooter (Green Road Line) lost one of the controllers and a front 2800w motor. It is the one controller that powers my front motor. The controller that powers the rear motor works fine. It's a dual 50 Amp controllers operate at 60V. It has tremendous amount of power. Too bad it failed so prematurely. I have been running my scooter off the rear motor as it still operates, which gives me 50% of power (3000w). Although the acceleration has decreased drastically I was shocked how fast it still goes. I can go over 50 mph with it, GPS verified.

I had a lot of trouble finding the right parts. I bought a controller at aliexpress not knowing there could be compatibility issues. I was not able to get the controller to work as the wires and plugs don't match. I bought another one only to find out it does not work. I tested it on the rear motor as that motor is working. The real problem is that the seller (ebay) I got the scooter from was not able to provide me a fix/replacement and disappeared from ebay so I can no longer contact them. You can't just buy a single controller and replace the bad front controller because the wiring arrangement is different. With dual motor scooters the front and rear controllers are bridged together. I came to realization that once one of the controllers blow out you basically have to buy a whole Front & Rear set of controllers WITH a throttle display from the same seller for better compatibility. And there are not many 50 Amp controllers out there... the 37 Amp and 40 Amp controllers are more readily available. Because mine came with dual 50 Amps I don't want to get less power than what I had. In order to avoid future compatibility issues with running two controllers linked together in parallel I decided to run two controllers separately, independently from each other. This means I will have "two" throttle displays, that too will run independently from each other. Nice thing about this method is that if one of the controllers break all you would have to do is replace it with another one with a different brand/model and you would have to not worry about the compatibility problems with the other controller.

So I bought a more powerful beefy 60V controller that has massive cooling, the current is adjustable from 47A to 73A. The controller is huge. And it comes with the throttle display as a set. I checked with the seller that this should work with the 2800w scooter motor I will be getting. So I ordered that and the motor. Currently waiting for delivery, could take several weeks. I will provide updates / progress on this. I hope to get my scooter running at full power. I miss the power I used to get when it was working. Later down the road I will be building my own battery for more power and range, so that I can put the controller to full potential. Stay tuned..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Voltage Controller and Front Motor Failed - 5600w Electric Scooter-20200509_091314-jpg  
    Last edited by noobz; 10-20-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Voltage Controller and Front Motor Failed - 5600w Electric Scooter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ok, here is the video explaining how I got the scooter working.

The new controller did not work right with my rear 2800w motor. There appears to be compatibility problem, and it led to motor failure. So, both (front and back) motors are bad. It worked at the first try, but the motor ran very rough, with vibration and bad motor sound when it starts accelerating. The vibration and noise went away as it picked up speed. But next day it refused to work and threw out an error code E07 on the throttle display indicating it's the motor. Great. So I had non-working scooter. Today I received the new motor I was waiting for. To my surprise the controller WORKS with this new motor. No vibration no roughness and sound. It runs smoothly and the error code disappeared. Strange, my old motors are same type 2800w for scooters. The model/serial number on the motor is different though. It must be a newer batch, I am guessing. But the weird thing is that my old brake disk does not fit on this motor, the holes don't line up! I would've thought they use universal standard size for mounting disk brakes on these motors. It's not. So moved the new motor to the back, and my old bad motor to the front and use the brake on the front instead. No brake on the rear. I will have to ride my scooter carefully as I have half of braking power now until I get a new replacement for the brake disk that fits on the new motor.

I still have yet to figure out how to adjust the power/current on the controller... I will post update on this.

My plan #2 is to use my old controller as a secondary controller to feed power to the front, so that I have power on both front and back wheels for maximum power. This is no rush, I gotta get my controller completely ironed out first and decide what to do next.

Plan #3 is the battery build for very high current discharge and longevity. This will take advantage of full power out of both of my controllers and deliver more stable throughput. I will be using high performance Samsung 21700 Li-Ion batteries for this project. It may take a long while before I get to it as this is pretty costly project.

I gotta get the brake disk ordered so I can have full brakes, first things first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Voltage Controller and Front Motor Failed - 5600w Electric Scooter-img_0267-jpg  
    Last edited by noobz; 10-20-2020 at 04:49 AM.